Arabic: Arabic Conversation Table, Tutoring
The University of Kentucky Arabic Club hosts three weekly conversation table sessions open to all interested UK students looking to practice conversational Arabic speaking skills. The meeting times for these tables are as follows:
- Mondays, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. in POT 1045
- Tuesdays, 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. in POT 1043
- Wednesdays, 5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. in POT 1045
The UK Arabic Club hosts additional tutoring sessions throughout the week aiming to help students with homework and exam preparation. The meeting times for tutoring sessions are as follows:
- All Arabic Levels: Wednesdays, 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. in POT 1022 (With Maysa)
This semester, UK Arabic Club is hosting a series of culture hours every other Tuesday from 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. in POT 113. Each culture hour is focused on a different theme realted to cultures of the Arabic world. The events for the spring are as follows:
- February 12th - Arabic Comedy Shows - "The Axis of Evil Comedy Show"
- February 26th - Arabic Music, Part II
- March 5th - Moroccan Culture and Multilingualism featuring guest speaker Mohamed Outahar, a PhD fellow in the French program at UK
- March 26th - Arabic Cuisine
- April 9th - Marriage in Arab Society
- April 23rd - Syrian TV Comedy
Stay up to date with cultural events hosted by UK Arabic Club by following their Facebook account.
Chinese: Chinese Language and Culture Club (CLCC)
The Chinese Language and Culture Club is a student-run organization open to students of all language proficiency levels interested in learning about the Chinese language and culture.
Every other Thursday, CLCC will host a conversation hour at 4:30 p.m. at Gatton Student Center Starbucks. The dates are as follows:
- January 30th
- February 13th
- February 27th
- March 12th
- March 26th
- April 9th
- April 23rd
This student organization will also be hosting a movie night on the last Friday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in Whitehall Classroom Building room 340. The dates are as follows:
- January 31st
- February 28th
- March 27th
- April 24th
French: UK French Club
The UK French Club hosts cultural and conversational activities as well as film nights, game nights, and roundtable discussions on/near UK's campus. Their events are open to all students interested in learning about the French language and culture. Events are hosted by graduate and teaching assistants as well as undergraduate students in the department of Modern & Classical Languages, Literatures & Cultures.
If you are in need of a French tutor, please click here.
If you are in need of French translators, please click here.
This semester, UK French Club will be hosting the following events:
- Conversation Night (Open Topic), January 29th at 6:00 p.m., Coffea
- Conversation Night (Cultures of the Caribbean), February 5th at 6:00 p.m., Location TBD
- Cultural Event (Cooking and Fashion of the Caribbean), February 12th at 6:00 p.m., Location TBD
- Movie Field Trip - Portrait of a Lady on Fire, February 14th at 6:00 p.m
- Conversation Night (Mardi Gras), February 19th at 6:00 p.m, Bourbon N' Toulouse
- Conversation Night (Fashion from the Francophone World), February 26th at 6:00 p.m., Location TBD
- Cultural Event (Maghreb), March 4th at 6:00 p.m., Location TBD
- Conversation Night (Maghreb), March 11th, at 6:00 p.m., Location TBD
- Cultural Event (Game Night), April 1st at 6:00 p.m., Location TBD
- Cultural Event (Cut-out Poetry, Art, Collage), April 8th at 6:00 p.m., Location TBD
- Conversation Night (Plans for Summer and Next Semester), April 15th at 6:00 p.m., Location TBD
- End-of-Semester Party and Elections, April 22nd at 6:00 p.m., Location TBD
For any further questions regarding UK's French Club, contact them at FrenchClubUKY@gmail.com.
German: UK German Club
UK German Club provides students of all backgrounds in the German language with an opportunity to connect with other German students outside the classroom, gain exposure to German culture and current events as well as obtain information regarding study abroad programs.
The UK German Club currently meets every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. at the Max Kade House (212 East Maxwell).
Japanese: Japanese Culture in Kentucky Society (JCiKS)
The University of Kentucky Japanese Culture in Kentucky Society is a student run organization that seeks to provide students with opportunities to engage in social activities centered around aspects of Japanese culture found in Kentucky. JCiKS also provides Japanese tutoring for non-native speakers as well as English tutoring for students from Japan. In addition to tutoring, the Japanese Culture in Kentucky Society offers assistance and support for students from Japan currently studying at the University of Kentucky in order to foster a spirit of community among students from Japan and those interested in Japanese culture.
JCiKS holds regular meetings every Thursday at 7:00 p.m. in 203 Whitehall Classroom Building. For any questions regarding meetings, contact Jimmy Wang at email@example.com or visit their Facebook Page.
Korean: Korean Conversation Table
Intermediate Learners: Thursdays, 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Beginning Learners: Fridays, 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Russian: UK Russian Club, Russian Radio
For students seeking to practice their conversational speaking skills, UK’s Russian Club holds a weekly conversation table on Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. in William T. Young Library. The table is hosted by a UK student who is also a native speaker. Students of all proficiency levels are welcome.
UK’s Russian Club hosts a monthly Russian Tea event that allows students of all skill levels to practice their conversational speaking skills in an informal setting. For more information in regards to the dates of their next Russian Tea follow their Facebook account or contact Professor Cynthia Ruber at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to their Listserv.
For those seeking to improve listening skills as well as further enhance their understanding of Russian literature and culture, tune in on Thursdays to the weekly broadcast of Russian Radio on WRL - FM (88.1) from 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Tutoring or any further assistance needed with Russian Studies is available upon arrangement with Cynthia Ruder.
Spanish: La mesa del español, Almuerzos
La Mesa: Tuesdays, 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. in The 90
- La mesa is a weekly tutoring and conversation hour available to all UK students. Spanish learners of any level are welcome and will receive conversation practice and/or help with grammar topics from UK faculty.
Almuerzos: Wednesdays, 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. in Patterson Office Tower 1145
- Almuerzos is a weekly conversation hour held by graduate students and professors of the hispanic studies department. Feel free to bring your lunch or just stop in to practice conversational Spanish skills with a native or fluent speaker.
Charlas en Español: Mondays, 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. 1st and 3rd Mondays at Coffea, 2nd and 4th Mondays at Nice N Pan.
- Charlas en Español is a weekly conversation opportunity held by graduate students and professors of the hispanic studies department.
Individual tutors and translators are available for one on one tutoring or written translation work. Please contact the graduate students listed here for individualized tutoring sessions to discuss their availability and rates.